Superstitious might say that the signs are not good for the 2012 London Olympic Games. Just three days into its journey through Great Britain, the Olympic flame was unwittingly extinguished.
Olympic torch lost its flame on Monday while carried on a wheelchair by David Follette, an athlete aspiring for a medal in the badminton tournament of the Paralympic Games.
“The flame was extinguished due to a malfunction of the burner. It is not something uncommon for the torch flame to blow out, such incidents usually occuring due to extreme weather conditions,” said a spokesman of Locog, the Olympic Organizing Committee.
The torch has been designed and tested in the climate center of the BMW plant in Munich, where workers struggled to make the flame resist in unfavorable weather conditions. Apparently without success but fortunately the organizers have a reserve flame, which as lit also in Olympia.
“We keep the parent flame in a specially designed case, just to be secured in the unfortunate situation that the relay torches go out for one reason or another,” the organizers added.
The designers of the torch, which is made up of golden aluminum, claimed early last week that it can withstand any weather conditions.